Monday, September 15, 2008

HELP!!

Okay all of you young women leaders and mothers- I need activity ideas! What have you done in the past that has been successful? Mothers, what types of things would you like for your daughters to learn? I appreciate your input!!!!

6 comments:

Lia said...

I think you and I have the same position. First Counselor?
One thing my girls love are cooking activities.
-We've been keeping recipes and will prepare a "YWs Cookbook" for them.
-For a combined YM/YW activity this month the Laurels are planning a game of glow in the dark soccer.
-Service scavenger hunt.
-In Oct. we're going to a corn maze.
-Etique Dinner, that was fun.
-Laurels and Priests are planning a Dating Panel. A time to discuss dating, hearing it from the opposite perspective.
-Book club activity. My girls like to read.
-We made aprons.
-Our Secretary in a Nutritionist and she's going to be giving the girls a tour of the grocer store, showing them how to shop with good health in mind.
-She's also going to do a cooking class.
-We are starting a tradition for our Young Women, when they turn 18 they'll recieve a quilt that all the Young Women helped make. She'll pick the fabric and everything, we'll just help make it.
-We have an end of year sleep over.
-Game night.
-The girls are in on the planning and so we end up doing things to help with Personal Progress sometimes.
-Ice Sakting
-Our service project for Youth Conference was to 500 sandwiches that were delivered to a soup kitchen down town.
-Cake decorating
-Battle of the Sexes relay race.
-Iron chef cook off.
-Service project/ Halloween party for the Primary.
-Communication relay. Don't know how that one will work yet. The Laurels are planning it.

So those are the solid activities that we have for next year. The individual class activities are still to be planned. Hope I gave you some good ideas.

Laylabean said...

Wow, it's been a long time since I had to do YW. I agree with Lia, they always liked cooking. I think we did a breadmaking class once that was a hit.

We also did an iron rod type of activity where we used a string wound all through the church in a maze. The girls were blindfolded and had to find their way from the spirit world back to heaven by holding on to the rod. We made a big deal out of sending them on their journey and had people stationed at the more difficult parts to act as guides. They loved it.

Rachel said...

There is lots of stuff on the internet...didn't you say that you wanted to get back to your regularly scheduled lazy, internet-addictive ways (smile)! Your friend, Lia, gave lots of good ideas...some of which we have done with our Young Women. Good luck!

Jennica said...

Teach them to be good babysitters! What is expected, how to go above and beyond. They will get paid for it, called back, and referred!

Piano Mom said...

Thanks!!! You guys are awesome...keep the ideas coming!

Lara said...

I always give the same advice. An activity on babysitting - how to do it, game ideas, what's appropriate and what's not to do at the families homes, etc. I had a few BAD experiences with babysitters neglecting my house and kids. Young women need to know what's expected of them. I'm glad I'm past the days of needing a babysitter.